NOW ACCEPTING INTERNS FOR 2014
Set in the scenic Tuscarora Valley, framed by mountain ridges, boundaried by the Tuscarora Creek on the east side, inhabited by melodious birds and other creatures, home to 6 joyful volunteers, 18 peaceful cows/oxen, a couple of goats, a donkey and a rooster, and a carefree flock of about 40 peacocks, Gita Nagari Organic Farm of 350 acres of rolling green hay fields, pastures and diverse woods engages in compassionate farming, above all its other activities.
OUR VALUES & GOALS
We at Gita Nagari Organic Farm have understood that as an intentional community, we can be profitable and sustainable. This is because our core values rest on community and compassion where we are stewards of our people, land and animals. This is exemplified through our Organic Systems Plan, Forest Stewardship Plan, Conservation Plan, Nutrient Management Plan, Community Activities and and Cow and Ox Protection Plan.
Our goals are to balance lifestyle and agriculture through organic farming integrated with renewable energy sources. While our current practices are not there yet, we are making significant progress towards this. We would love to share with you our various projects in this regard such as biofuels, green buildings, and ox power.
Core to the above are people - people make things happen! Personal and community values are rooted in love, care, respect, compassion, and above all, engaging the talents and hearts of each other in loving service - service being a word we deliberately use to describe our daily activities as opposed to “chores” and “tasks”.
OUR INTERN PROGRAM
Given this backdrop, we offer to our qualifying interns the opportunity to:
- learn the fundamental principles of organic farming side by side with us - the format is theoretical input and conversations accompanied by hands on farming. This begins with understanding the natural elements used to grow wholesome food, planning your season, to germination techniques to planting techniques and up to harvesting, followed by preparing your garden for the next growing season
- learn the fundamental principles of caring for and protecting cows and oxen - their value, how to engage their gifts of milk, manure and urine, and training oxen
- learn core leadership competencies including planning, organizing, leading, managing self, others and tasks/services, business planning and strategic planning through real Projects as case studies
- become Project Team members on Agriculture and any Project of interest for you here on the Farm - we have many Projects in progress, constantly. This is underpinned by the principle that farming is not an isolated activity but rather the heart beat of the community, with active inspired people being the heart of our farm
- lead any community event/activity regarding the youth, festivals, cleaning, re-organizing, introducing enhanced systems, and much more
- learn diverse vegetarian cooking, yoga, meditation, and broaden your knowledge on applied wholesome lifestyle
The above is structured into the daily activities of the Farm.
You can apply to intern for one month up to one year - a duration that meets your needs and that of the farm. We do request that there is consistency please so as to enhance your learning experience and meet the needs of an active and developing farm.
Our core value proposition to you is compassionate farming coupled with empowerment and zero bureaucracy to lead and/or participate in the multitude of development Projects.
Being a compassionate farm, our residents and guests while on our Project practice vegetarianism and intoxication-free habits.
Please apply on-line at www.theyogafarm.com - submit your biographical details, a brief background, your goals regarding sustainable farming, your needs and expectations to email@example.com and call 717 527 4101 to chat further!
Let’s partner for a compassionate and sustainable future together.